Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Manga/Graphic Novel/Video Game Novel Challenge 2013


So this year since I said that I would try to get to Level 3 of the Challenge That means I need to have at least 25 books read before the end of the year. That's at least 2 books a month. (and one extra one in at least one of those 12 months)   As a change from last year I'm gonna be putting the reviews up here as I get them done and then linking them in the monthly round-up at Mother/Gamer/Writer.  I also plan to try to remember my update my Challenge page at the end of the month. Want to see what the other people in the challenge are reading this month? Click here!



I got the e-copy of this book through NetGalley.


In this canonical story from the lead writer of BioWare's Dragon Age games, reluctant monarch King Alistair travels to an empire of evil mages. Accompanied by the pirate captain Isabela and the underworld merchant Varric, Alistair will stop at nothing to uncover the fate of his lost father - even if it means battling an army of cultists singlehandedly! The fight turns even more personal as Alistair faces a former ally and Isabela must confront the tragedies of her past while imprisoned in the cultists' dungeon!

My Review:


Meh. I wasn’t as impressed with this one as I was with the cover. 
I liked the art work. It was detailed without being overwhelming.  It was colorful too. 
The story was ok. Maybe if I knew more of the background it would have been more interesting. It felt like there was more that I should know about the story itself that could have been filled in a bit better. Also the title…I think it would have worked better if the story had been more about the Tamassran. As it was while one ‘Who Spoke’ was a main character the story wasn’t about her.
***Spoiler Alert*** Also I was kinda waiting for a big reveal about what the captain’s real name had to do with anything.  But it didn’t.  Yes it had some deep thought underlying about how a name should reflect who someone is and the captain decides she might not be an Isabela anymore either. But I don’t know, considering it’s an adventure story I just thought there would be some bigger connection to the story.  ***End Spoiler***
Would I read more of Dragon Age? Possibly.  It’s not terrible…more just not my cup of tea. 





No comments:

Post a Comment