Saturday, March 30, 2013

Manga/Graphic Novel/Video Game Novel Challenge 2013

Mother/Gamer/Writer March Link Up

So this year since I said that I would try to get to Level 3 of the Challenge That means I need to have at least 25 books read before the end of the year. That's at least 2 books a month. (and one extra one in at least one of those 12 months)   As a change from last year I'm gonna be putting the reviews up here as I get them done and then linking them in the monthly round-up at Mother/Gamer/Writer.  I also plan to try to remember my update my Challenge page at the end of the month. Want to see what the other people in the challenge are reading this month? Click here!




Summery from Amazon:

In the land of Myst, a tyrant rules the city of Bree with an iron fist, leaving its citizens living in fear and terror. But all hope is not lost as a young orphan girl from another world discovers her destiny and becomes the legend she was meant to be. The creators of Grimm Fairy Tales, Wonderland, and Neverland bring you the next great hero in the Grimm Universe!


My Review:

I am in love!  I was quite taken with Grimm Fairy Tales Alice in Wonderland and now, after reading their version of Robyn Hood I can honestly say it is full blown love. Love, infatuation, possibly, dare I say it, full blown psychotic obsession even!  (One of my new goals in life is to get as many of Grimm’s titles as possible in print.)

I love their twist on Robyn Hood. Because of the bouncing between dimensions they were able to keep it modern and classic at the same time. But trust me when I say this is NOT your daddy’s Robin.   First things first Robin is now Robyn and she is not all sparkles and light.  The basic elements of the original story are still there.  Robyn steals from the rich to benefit the poor, she stands up to injustice and evil royalty. She just does it much ‘differently’.  I really liked her as a character though. She wasn’t just a tart with a bow and arrow.  She is broken, but she isn’t weak.  Also love her outfits! I know I know so non-feminist of me, but they are amazing looking.   If I could pull it off I’d wear stuff like that too.
That brings me to the artwork. AH-MAY-ZING!  I love the detail.  Not just in the characters and scenery but in the color as well. They all pull together and the frames really come alive on the page, screen, whatever.  I think that’s why I like her outfits so much, yes they tend to veer to the skimpy, but there are also little details that catch the eye.  You can tell there was a lot of time put into the artwork it wasn’t just slapped on the page.
Definitely looking to pick up these books in print form for my own private collection, but will gladly continue reading them in e-format.
On a side note, this novel is VERY graphic; blood, violence, etc.  There are also some very adult situations. You don’t see certain things but they are heavy themes in the book.  So please don’t just think ‘oooo shiny cover and hand it to a kid, just cause it has pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment