Monday, April 28, 2014

X is for Xoe by Sara Roethle





Alexondra Meyers, known to her friends as Xoe, had a normal life. She liked her normal life, but there's a new guy in the small town of Shelby, OR, and he is anything but normal. Before Xoe can say, "Werewolf," her world is turned upside-down. Between a dark secret in Xoe's past, a best friend who's been scratched, and not to mention highschool, Xoe has a lot of thinking to do. She has to choose who she can trust, and fast . . . tomorrow's the full moon.


My Review:

I enjoyed Xoe. It was fun. I think the teen crowd will definitely like reading about Xoe and her adventures. I did have a few issues with the book though that kept me from giving it a full set of stars.

I have to say the characters were what made it fun. Xoe and her friends are cute and seeing their loyalty to each other was sweet.  I think that teen readers will really get into reading about Xoe and her adventures.
The story itself was interesting. The way it ended definitely left it open for more adventures and quite a few strings were left untied, but not necessarily in a bad way.
There were just some editing and story issues that bugged me.

The editing: There were some spots where the voice bounced between present and past tense, and it didn't seem to be part of the story.  I usually don't let editing mishaps bug me too much, but when they happen repeatedly, and I've paid for a book, it's annoying. I know I shouldn't let it bug me that much, but it really throws off the story when I find myself getting into it.

The story:
This is something I've had issues with in multiple YA books I've read recently.  Where are the parents? Xoe's mom is almost never at home and her reaction to a scene where Xoe gets injured is just REALLY laid back. I know I'm old, fine, but even my kids will tell you if something similar happened while I wasn't home they would be on lock down, major lock down, especially if boys were involved.  I know, I know it's a story, suspend belief. Yes, I get it, that's why I gave it 4 stars not 3, because it is a fantasy. But I just had to put my two cents in.

Overall I think the book is fun and I think that teens and preteens will really get a kick out of it. There wasn't anything overly smexy or anything, although with all books I recommend reading them before handing them over. Also it's part of a series so it opens the doors for plenty of future reading.
It's currently only .99 on Amazon so why not check it out?













No comments:

Post a Comment