Monday, April 27, 2015

W is for Winter's Destiny by Nancy Allan





Alone, with a fall gale howling around the rafters, Amy Johnstone turns to see a woman’s rain-streaked face staring back at her through the dark window. 

The face is...identical to her own! 

Instantly, Amy's life crumbles. Something sinister surrounds her and those she loves. She is catapulted into a world she knows nothing about--a place where a killer rules, where her life is in constant peril, and where her child has been taken. 


My Review:



I went into Winter's Destiny thinking it would be different than what it was. Not from the summary, which I read, but based on the title. I know that sounds odd, but even after finishing the book I couldn't figure out the relationship between the two.  However Winter's Destiny  kept me interested from the beginning to end and I enjoyed all the different twists and turns.

Let's start with the characters. I liked watching them handle all the situations that the author put them in. Really the book wasn't just about the mystery surrounding Amy and her family, but about the characters themselves.

Then there's the story itself. The author kept the mysteries going from the beginning to end. Also she kept the action going to the end as well. There were quite a few times I wasn't sure if some of the characters were going to make it to the last page. 

The only thing that really didn't quite do it for me was the the last part of the book. Yes it was packed with action and adventure. Yes the mysteries were one by one being revealed. But compared to the pacing at the beginning of the book the ending just seemed rushed.  It was almost like the author just wanted the book to be over. I'm going to give an example but I don't want to give away too much, so please excuse me if it's vague. Ok, at the end of the book there's one more mystery involving one of the main characters, I figured it was going to be a set up for another book, but the author answers the question of what happened to the said character was answered in one quick page. After everything else that had led up to that point it just seemed like a brush off. 

Overall I enjoyed Winter's Destiny. It's not something I'd normally read, but it kept me interested throughout. Both in the story and the characters. I'm giving it 4 out of 5 stars because of the rushed feel towards the end. But I definitely would recommend it, especially with beach read season coming up. 










        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~












I got this book from Amazon because it was on sale and decided to review it for this event. All opinions in this fair and honest review are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by from the #atozchallenge 2015! Don't forget our after party. The Reflections Linky List will open on Monday May 4th.
    Great post. I'm following you on your listed social media sites. It sounds like an interesting read.
    J @JLenniDorner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and following me! There were lots of twists and turns that kept me reading.

      Delete